Membership / Contact Us
Historical theory and historiography possess an important place in historical research and teaching. The Commission seeks to play the role of facilitating the exchange of opinions and ideas among its members, and historians in general, to improve and expand the field of study on a global scale. Many of its members are distinguished scholars in the field who have accumulated ample experience in teaching and developing courses on historiography and historical theory, and are more than happy to offer help and/or provide support to both institutions and individuals where such interest arises. The Commission also boasts a formidable phalanx of internationally recognized authors with successful experiences in publishing works on subjects related to the study of historiography.
In addition, the members of the Commission enjoy the following benefits:
- To propose panels and/or participate in the sessions organized by the Commission at CISH's quinquennial congress held across the world (recently in Montreal, Oslo, Sydney, Amsterdam and will be held in Ji'nan, China, in 2015);
- To be invited to attend and present papers at conferences on related subjects either sponsored or cosponsored by the Commission;
- To subscribe to Storia della Storiografia at a discount rate;
- To elect or to be elected onto the Bureau of the Commission;
- To participate (by invitation) in research projects developed by the Commission or by its members.
(The Commission is now accepting annual membership fee of $35.00. Simply click on the "subscribe" sign above and choose the option to pay it with your credit card, unless you already have a paypal account. Thanks for your continual support.)
How to Join
The Commission is open to anyone who is interested in exploring issues related to the study of historiography and historical theory. There are two ways to become its member. One is to be invited to join by a current member. The other is to apply directly to the Commission by sending a vita, a brief statement of your interests and a membership form to the Bureau, c/o Edoardo Tortarolo, Secretary General of the Commission by email. You might download a membership form here. Once the application is approved, an annual membership of $35 is called for and might be pay online (above).
The ICHTH Doctoral Dissertation Prize for the History and Theory of Historiography (2017)
ICHTH Bureau meeting minutes,
2 December 2017 at 12:30-16:00
Ewa Domanska - mission letter
Call for Papers - Workshop
Émigré scholars: Historians in Exile and the Writing of History in the 20th century (organized by Prof. Dr. Stefan Berger and PD Dr. Philipp Müller)
Bochum, September 19-21, 2019